Tiredness can feel like torture. There’s nothing worse than laying in bed at night staring at the ceiling unable to drift off and then falling asleep at your desk the next day. Conversely, you might be getting plenty of sleep but still feel groggy and sluggish throughout the morning and into the afternoon, ultimately hindering your overall health and weight loss success.
Symptoms of fatigue can include:
- Grouchiness, irritability and short temperedness
- An inability to sleep even when feeling exhausted
- A sluggish, heavy feeling in the body
- Difficulty concentrating or retaining information
- A hindered memory
- Shakiness, dizziness or feeling confused
- Fainting or feeling weak
- Anxiety or depression
- Decreased or increased appetite
But fatigue doesn’t have to be tolerated, and there are a number of home-remedies you can try to overcome this crippling (but very common) health complaint.
Before we look at potential solutions, let’s talk about why you might be feeling this way in the first place! Fatigue can come about for a variety of reasons, some of which include:
- Temporary sleep deprivation – Shift work, a lifestyle change or new baby can totally disrupt sleep patterns on a temporary basic, causing a bout of daytime fatigue.
- Micronutrient deficiency – A lack of vitamin D and vitamin B are the usual suspects when it comes to unexplained fatigue. This is especially true in the winter months when there’s less sunshine!
- Food intolerance – Without even realising it, chronic fatigue problems can be caused by an intolerance to certain foods such as dairy, grains or gluten.
- Hormones – A dysfunctional endocrine system can cause havoc on your energy levels, with one of the most common problems being caused by an underactive thyroid.
- Medications – Some medications including antidepressants and pain relief can cause sleepiness or excess sleeping, giving you a hangover feeling the next day. Conversely, some medications like steroids cause insomnia, leaving you feeling weak and tired through lack of sleep.
So, the first thing you should do if you’re suffering from unexplained fatigue is to think about the underlying cause. If you feel any of the above could be triggering your condition, it is critical that you seek medical advice.
In the short term, there are a few home-remedies you can try to overcome fatigue naturally.
Here are some of our favourite methods:
- Take a shower. Even if it’s at an unusual time of day, a shower can temporarily wake you up.
- Do 20 minutes of yoga. You can perform yoga in the comfort of your own home or even in your workplace on your lunch hour.
- Take multivitamins that include vitamin D, vitamin B and iron.
- Enjoy energy boosting foods. The Luxe Coconut Chocolate Protein Balls could be the perfect choice.
- Drink a pint of water or coconut water. Dehydration plays a major role in fatigue and you may be surprised at how much better you feel following a beverage.
- Follow sleep hygiene guidelines. Try to go to bed at the same time every night, avoid using your phone or tablet before bed and try not to nap during the day.
- Drink a mug of Luxe Sleep Burner Plus before bed. The lemon balm content will help you nod off into a deep sleep.
- Rule out any underlying medical problems. As stated above, if you think there might be something more to your fatigue than meets the eye, see your doctor.
- Of course, it is also important to keep your macronutrient levels high, which includes having enough protein in your diet. Make sure you incorporate Luxe protein powders into your daily routine and keep up with your fitness activities.
Remember, while everyone gets tired from time to time, extended fatigue is not normal. It can sometimes be due to a change in your lifestyle or, in certain circumstances, a problem with your diet or routine. Evaluating your day-to-day activities and seeking professional help can assist you in identifying what might be causing your excess tiredness.